Friday, December 30, 2011

Anticipating US Nationals 2012: The Ladies

US Nationals is almost here and it seems to be between Alissa, Mirai and Ashley.  Mirai hasn't won since she was a teenager and Ashley has never won.  Both will battle the two time champ Alissa Czisny.

  Mirai Nagasu competed at Glacier Falls this summer to debut her lp which I find had better costuming than the grand prix series.  Hopefully for nationals she will go back to the dress seen here:  


Mirai definitely has been drab in the grand prix this year, hopefully Frank Carroll will get this in order...

Ashley Wanger, smartly switched to John Nicks this year showing much improved jumps but can she get over her nemesis, the short program?  Time will only tell, this sure will be an interesting nationals.


Lastly we have Alissa who, like Mirai, had better costuming the first time her LP was debuted.  Hopefully we will also see something more like this at Nationals:



With Alissa being injured at the GPF, we have no idea which Alissa will show up, although I suppose we never really do, do we?  She could implode or could skate clean.  Although even if clean, she is somewhat weak with her jumps, I do not see her pulling of the 3/3's.  She will need to count on Mirai and Ashley to implode, which is always a possibility.

All in all, I think Rachael Flatt is out.  She hasn't been skating that well since 2010 and her priority is probably Stanford.   She is a smart girl, she should be extremely proud of all she has accomplished in her career.

7 comments:

  1. I'm hoping it's Mirai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Mirai's program this season is pretty good. If she performs FS just like SP, she'll be able to get gold.(Her SP is good but she's been always week at LP....)
    I'm also curious if Alissa can make 3-3.
    Ashley? She's a good skater but not the best..
    If all three of them make good performance, I think Mirai will get gold, Alissa silver, Ashley bronze.
    I think universities in US is too tough for skaters. In my country, Korea, skaters don't have to go to university as often as skaters in US. It will be too hard for Flat to skate and study simultaneously

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Mirai's dress at Glacier Falls, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for joining the blog smile, great observations.

    I'm predicting Alissa to win, but my favorite is Mirai. Ashley brings an interesting mix to it tho, anyone could really win it. Can't wait til Nats.

    Thanks to all who commented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't mention it!
    I joined your blog because your postings were really nice! I usually get news just about Korea or Japan, but in this blog, I was able to get news from all over the world!
    I think I should thank you for making such a nice blog^^

    Well, have a happy new year!!
    Cheers for Mao and Pluschnko

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, glad you enjoy it. Mao and Plush are some of my fav. skaters too, hopefully Mao will be world champ this year. Have a great New Year as well and here's to a great year of skating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My country, too is way too tough, and considering how time consuming and exhausting skating is, and can be, I just don't know how these young skaters do it or are ever able to pull it all together.

    ReplyDelete